The second floor of Edgemoor, like the third, is devoted to student quarters, with twelve student rooms. The east corridor provides access to rooms added in the 1921 addition, and the west corridor to the new rooms added for 2015. The west hallway connects to a secondary stairwell that provides quick access to the third floor gym, as well as to an exterior walkway that affords a view of Cascadilla Gorge and access to the Gorge Deck and exterior emergency fire stair.
In following with the chapter tradition, all of the rooms are named, except for the new rooms added in the 2015 expansion. Going counterclockwise around the floor from the southeast corner, they are as follows:
|The Forty||211||The Forty lost its west window in the 2015 renovation, but the grand dame remains one of the largest rooms in the house. It is perhaps the oldest named room: in the house meeting minutes of 6 February 1956, the High Delta makes a reference to “material on the rushing board in the South 40,” as the room is still known to older generations, referencing its tne-isolated position in the southeast corner of the house.|
|The Range||209||The Range features a large bay window command a grand view into the woods to the east of the house, improved with the removal of the old fire escape in 2015. It earned its name on account of an herb garden (“Home on the Range”) that was removed in the 1990s. Around the same time, however, a broken radiator often sent temperatures into the stovetop range during winter, providing a convenient if uncomfortable new rationale until the new heating plant went in during the 2015 renovation.|
|The Toolshed||207||By the early 2000s, many names had been proposed for room 207, and none stuck; it was labeled “No Name II” on room pick sheets. Failed attempts included “The Playground” and “Dead End”— on account of those signs being readily available— and “The Penthouse,” in honor of a magazine. Ultimately, it became The Toolshed in 2003 as the home of brother who, by his own admission, could be something of a tool.|
|The Bank||205||Unlike most room names, which were based on their inside arrangement or occupants, The Bank got its original name from repairs. Around 1992, a brother trying to break into the room to rouse its occupant destroyed the door jamb, and the hurried repairs necessary for fire inspection included a liberal application of steel wire and staples. This was felt to give it the doorway the appearance of a vault. In the end, the double entendre with sperm bank proved irresistible as well.|
|The Ritz||203||The Ritz originally held one of the most impressive lofts in the house, one which occupied two-thirds of its floor space. The beds were accessed from ladders behind a facade with two “windows,” on the lower level was a bar. This was thought to give the room the feel of an old hotel. The loft was removed in 1994 to come into compliance with fire codes. It acquired a second meaning in 1995 with a resident’s investment of considerable personal funds into its improvement.|
|The Saloon||201||The Saloon took its name from the dim lighting and shelves that ran along its walls in the 1980s, filled with every imaginable form of (mostly empty) liquor bottle. The name has been retained even though the room has been radically redesigned in order to come into compliance with fire codes.|
|The Mess||200||The Mess owes its name more or less entirely to the state in which its inhabitant left it during the 1993–1994 school year.|
|No Name (The Room With No Name)||202||Amidst the room naming rush of the late 1980s and early 1990s, room pick sheets labeled this room “No Name” and room 207 as "No Name II." Naturally, and without irony, the name of “No Name” stuck, though, one form of protest to the hurried pace of room-naming of the era. Today, it is known for its “Name Day” celebrations.|
|The Bada-Bing (Paus M)||204||The Bada-Bing was named in 2005 in honor of resident Steve DiNardo ’04 O-1614, referencing his Italian-American extraction.
Previously it was known as Paus M, after a small metal plaque reading “PAUS M” hung above the door. Bro. Paul S. Komor '82 O-1265 had made the plaque in metal shop in the days of his youth; it was a nickname of his of uncertain origin. Whether the plaque is “properly” hung upside-down or not was a subject of unusual debate, but moot since it disappeared around 2002.
|The Zoo||206||One of the most storied rooms in the house, the Zoo often served as the executive suite, with its views and sunshine in the southwest corner of the house. It gained its name 1980–1981 when inhabited by Mark “Mef” Fernau '82 O-1262, Mike Lennon '81 O-1245, and Stephen “Keegs” Keegan '81 O-1227. They cut the door in half, which was thought to give it a cage-like feel. Dutch door aside, it also had a reputation for raucous room parties.
The Zoo lost all its southern windows and almost a third of its floor space in the 2015 renovation to the new west hallway. But pleasantly refinished, and still commanding its western views, it promises to produce more stories yet.
|Room 208||208||One of the new student rooms added with the 2015 expansion, this room has yet to gain a name, but already enjoys an impressive view to the west through its large bay window— designed to be a mirror image of The Range on the east side of the house.|
|Room 210||210||Also yet to be named, room 210 is the sunniest room on the second floor, with windows to the south and west. Directly adjacent to the fire stair, however, the blinds usually remain shut.|
In the 1896 house, what is now room 207 (The Toolshed) served as the second floor bathroom, and at various times, what are now rooms 200 and 201 (The Mess and The Saloon) were merged into a single space. The 1921 addition, around the time of the house’s purchase, added rooms 209 and 211 (The Range and The Forty). The Forty in turn was used as a second floor dorm for a time, but as the brotherhood grew and the demand for study rooms increased, more bunks were squeezed into the third floor dorm and The Forty was subdivided into a study suite.
The 1956 renovation added the current bathroom, located in the same core as the new stairwell, and permitted the conversion of the old bathroom into a student room. As brothers stopped sleeping in the dorm and moved into their study rooms full-time in the 1970s and 1980s, they set about customizing them to their wants and needs; the heydey of room modification, the 1980s, saw many an iconic loft, bar, desk, or bunk built— and then inevitably removed due to fire code violations. The layout of the floor as a whole remained largely unchanged until the 2015 expansion, which saw the addition of two new rooms in the southwest addition.